Try A Little Originality

This drives me absolutely crazy. The self-proclaimed "best rapper alive" (Jay-Z) along with a rapper who compares himself to "Mike at his baddest" (Kanye West) have reached new heights of unwarranted egotism by completely butchering the legendary Otis Redding song, "Try A Little Tenderness."

Have they seriously no shame? I mean, I knew Kanye was a delusional narcissist, especially after seeing him dressed up as Jesus Christ with a crown of thorns on the cover of Rolling Stone (and, apparently, on the cover of his mix tape Alter Ego (see below)), but this latest stunt still manages to surprise me. If you listen to their new "song" and are at all familiar with the original, you can hear that Jay-Z and Kanye really add nothing of their own to the sound of the song. They simply take a short excerpt from the chorus, play it over and over again and then rap with it. That's it. (I take that back - there's some irritating screaming at the end of the song now. How nice.)

How that qualifies this as a new song worthy of frequent radio play completely eludes me.

Speaking of which, I have so much hate for this "stealing a chorus from a classic song and then adding some rap to it" trend on the radio these days, especially when the overall sound isn't one iota different from the original. To me, this is even worse than putting a crappy Miley Cyrus song on the radio. At least her crappy song was new.

In short, Jay-Z and Kanye, you are not Otis Redding or Michael Jackson (and you're definitely not Jesus), and you never will be. Kindly sit the eff down.

*shakes head* This is just...sad... Dude clearly has issues.

And on that note, I think it's best to end this post with a few wise words from the true Jesus Christ:
"Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Because that's really the only way to handle this level of idiocy.

/rant

3 comments on "Try A Little Originality"

magicwithgenny wrote: July 31, 2011 at 5:40 AM

THIS! I hate how Kanye just steals from Bon Iver. It makes me so upset.


Selenia wrote: July 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I completely agree with you, they both just really get on my nerves!


Merbella wrote: July 31, 2011 at 2:24 PM

@Genny: It really is stealing! And then they profit off of someone else's genius... It's just tragic. Btw, so happy you found me over here! <3

@Selenia: Thank you, hun. I'm glad you agree! ;)


Post a Comment